- All commands needed for test automation are available in batch mode via the command line interface (CLI).
- The CLI commands for executing and analysing test cases can be specified and saved in common batch files (e.g. bat/cmd or shell scripts).
- The Testing CLI's options allow for the results of the test execution and test evaluation to be automatically transferred to a test and defect management system.
- The batch files contain a complete procedure and command description. They are startable manually or can be started time or event-controlled by any desired scheduling program.
- Processing the batch scripts can be repeated as often as necessary.
- Batch scripts with CLI commands may be generated using the RapidRep Designer.
- Development environment for two different script languages, incl. syntax highlighting, proposal lists and online documentation/Help.
- Modular principle supports building compact, reusable and easy to maintain development components.
- RapidRep can implement the test logic by using sets of rules. Rules may be created in Excel and uploaded to the repository. See model-based testing.
- The use of customisable Excel workbooks as output medium provides a neat and clear separation of layout and content.
- The RapidRep Designer allows the evaluation and analysis (RapidRep Prototyping) of individual function blocks and accelerates development time.
- The repository saves all intermediate states as separate versions; a built-in comparison functions shows the differences between these versions.
- The integrated database browser displays all available tables, columns and functions for the data sources used. The user can place objects into scripts per drag & drop and have important SQL operations generated by mouse click.
- Many modules of a test implementation can be reused in other projects. The supplied feature libraries thus grow to a collection for recurring tasks. For the following standard problems, ready-to-use solutions are available: a) wizard for comparing data from different data sources, b) rule-based data quality evaluations (configurable sample).
Integration in a test process
- RapidRep is a team player and can transmit its results to a test and defect management system.
- The results of the test depends RapidRep to a test case or test case step on the test management system.
- Deviations documented RapidRep in the form of a defect in a defect management system.
- Flexible connection and configuration for common test and defect management systems.
- RapidRep can address the functions of a test management and defect management system separately. In this way, for example can RapidRep support test cases in HP ALM and defects in JIRA.
- The tools support a consistently transparent and auditable test execution, test documentation and defect handling.
- The repository only admits selected databases whose reliability has been proven for years: Oracle, DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase and Derby.
- Identification of users (authentication) possible per JDBC, LDAP and internally.
- Mulitlevel access authorisation system up to object level.
- Central management of policies for the password assignment in the RapidRep Repository Manager.
- For starting test scripts via the CLI, very high security features can be applied: tokens to determine on which processor a script may run, which operating system user must be logged in to the machine and a temporal limit. Additionally, all passwords are stored to the test script in encrypted form according to the password policy.
Efficient integration of resources
- The integrated use of Excel workbooks makes it possible to include members from the business and IT departments together and early in the design of Excel templates.
- Thereby it is ensured that the workbooks automatically filled during the process of the test evaluation contain all the details required for reproducing the tests performed.
- The main effort consequently lies only in the defect analysis and not anymore in the otherwise costly performance and documentation of the test.
- The modular architecture from different, specialised components ensures the organisational separation in test case design and test execution.
- RapidRep stores all artefacts versioned to a repository. So developers can make reproducable and consistent changes to the test implementation from everywhere (Global Delivery Model).
- The GUI and the documentation are available completely in German and English.
- RapidRep can access over 50 different data sources. Among them virtually all databases and important file formats (XML, CSV, Fixed Length, Excel).
- Supports all common test and defect management systems.
- Runs on numerous platforms (Windows, Linux, Unix, AIX, Solaris, Open Solaris).
- Many application areas for testing the back-end.
Transparency and replicability
- The RapidRep Repository stores all versions of a report definition, whereby only released (and thus no longer changeable) versions can be used for the automated test execution.
- Each test execution is transparent (which test was executed and evaluated with which parameters and which test logic) and can be repeated at any time. RapidRep meets all relevant ISO/IEC/IEEE testing standards.
- The details saved to the Excel workbooks support both the management in assessing the test results and the development department in the exact localisation of the defect situation.
- The rules which are employed in the logic for the test evaluation have unique IDs and provide a very high transparency with regards to the expected target results.